5G-capable Huawei Kirin 990 flagship SoC revealed
- The new Huawei HiSilicon Kirin 990 SoC – which will debut on the upcoming Mate 30 series of smartphones – has been revealed with an integrated 5G modem.
- Built on a 7nm+ FinFET process, the Kirin 990 features 10.3 billion transistors. Its octa-core CPU construction consists of two Cortex A76 cores clocked at 2.86 GHz, two Cortex A76 cores clocked at 2.36 GHz, and four Cortex A55 cores clocked at 1.95GHz.
- The GPU here is a Mali G76, which is same as that on last year’s Kirin 980, but in the 990, this GPU has 6 more cores, taking the total to 16.
- The chip’s new NPU for dedicated AI tasks is a quad-core unit which works with Huawei’s HiAI, Facebook’s Tensorflow, and Google’s Android NN platforms.
- Capable of recording 8K HDR videos at up to 30 fps, the Kirin 990 5G also comes with a better dual-image signal processor for better photography finesse when compared to its predecessor.
More tech news: