Citroen C5 Aircross SUV confirmed to launch in India
- French carmaker Citroen, which is a part of the PSA Group, has confirmed that its debut model in India will be the C5 Aircross SUV and it will be launched by September 2020.
- The C5 Aircross, along with future models from the brand, will be manufactured at CK Birla’s plant in Tiruvallur, Tamil Nadu, which also produces Mitsubishi India vehicles. Citroen already has a plant in Hosur, Tamil Nadu, but it supplies engines and transmissions for domestic and export purposes.
- The Aircross is a funky SUV which is more or less the same size of the Hyundai Tucson and Honda CR-V. How the Indian market responds to the C5’s quirky design would be interesting to see.
- In Europe, this vehicle is available with diesel and turbo-petrol options with power output going up to 177 bhp. Citroen is also planning to soon launch a hybrid powertrain with 60 km electric-only range. As of now, we cannot confirm which engines will come to India though.
- The PSA Group was present in India in the 90s for a short while with its Peugeot brand, but it failed to gain much traction. Citroen – with its funky designs and planned extensive localisation – may prove to be successful after all.