Google Pixel 4 confirmed to have 3D face unlock, motion gestures
- While the Pixel 4 will only in revealed in October, Google has gone ahead and revealed a few key features of its upcoming flagship series.
- The Pixel 4 will have iPhone-like 3D face unlock which will scan a map of your face via a dot projector, IR camera and flood illuminator. The facial data will be saved on the device’s onboard ‘Titan M’ chip so that no one else can access it.
- The Pixel 4’s radar chip will sense the user’s hand as they proceed to pick up the phone and will immediately trigger the face-scanning hardware. So, a swipe up from the lock screen (as on the iPhone) won’t be required here. Google also claims that this system will work in any orientation, even when the phone is upside down.
- With this fancy new face unlock, it remains to be seen if the Pixel 4 will come with a fingerprint scanner at all. Previously, it was speculated that it will use an in-display scanner.
- Moving on, Pixel 4 will also have ‘Motion Sense’, which are basically motion gestures. The system will be able to recognise hand waving initially but it may be able to perform more complex tasks in future.