How to find lost iPhone even when switched off
Apple’s Find My app has proven to be one really helpful tool, allowing you to track down a missing or stolen phone and reclaim it. Find My has grown even more helpful with its extension to a number of different things, particularly via Apple’s AirTags.
And now, iOS 15 adds the ability to find lost iPhone even when switched off. Assuming that you have one of the compatible iPhones, it is actually pretty simple to do and incredibly useful. But, before that, here is a list of the compatible iPhones:
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 Mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
If you notice the text “iPhone Findable After Power Off” beneath the power-down toggle when you shut down your iPhone, this function is activated.
Steps to find lost iPhone even when switched off
- Go to your settings, tap on your name, and then “Find My”, then select “Find My iPhone”.
- Turn on “Find My iPhone”.
- If you’ve upgraded to iOS 15, you can also enable “Find My Network,” which allows you to locate your phone even while it’s turned off. When your iPhone’s battery is close to dying, “Communicate Last Location” will send the location of your iPhone to your Apple account.
- If you can’t find your iPhone after that, you may track it using the Find My app on a Mac (or another iPhone if you have one) or by going to iCloud.com/find and checking in with your Apple ID from any browser.
- When using the online version, you’ll notice a green dot that indicates the location of your iPhone. You’ll be offered the option of having your phone make a sound, deleting the data on it, or placing it on “Lost Mode” if you choose the dot and then the circled I.
- You may input a phone number where you can be reached as well as a note in “Lost Mode.” The phone will then be locked until you input the passcode again.
Also read: How to use SharePlay on iPhone, iPad and Mac