Kia Sonet compact SUV revealed
- The much-anticipated Kia Sonet compact SUV – which was shown in production-ready concept form at the 2020 Auto Expo – has been officially revealed. Its prices are yet to come out.
- Aesthetically, the Sonet looks exactly like its concept version, which is to say that it looks pretty stylish without bearing much resemblance to its mechanical twin, the Hyundai Venue.
- Up front, there’s the ‘Tiger Nose’ grille that’s flanked by slick LED headlamps with DRLs. The bumpers are also sharply styled, while the LED strip joining the tail lamps, as well as the flared wheel arches, give it a lot of character.
- The cabin of the Sonet features a contemporary design. There’s a lot in terms of equipment as the top model will get a 10.25-inch infotainment screen, UVO connected car tech, semi-digital instrument cluster, drive modes, Bose sound system with subwoofer, cruise control, sunroof, ventilated front seats, automatic headlamps, etc.
- When it comes to safety kit, the compact SUV will offer 6 airbags, ABS with EBD, rear parking sensors and a rear-view camera as standard on higher trims.
- Since the Sonet is Venue’s mechanical twin, the engine options will be shared among two cars. On offer will be a 1.2-litre petrol (82 bhp/ 113 Nm), a 1.0-litre turbo petrol (118 bhp/ 172 Nm), and a 1.5-litre diesel (99 bhp/ 240 Nm).
- Even the gearbox options will be plenty. The 1.2 petrol will get a 5-speed manual, the 1.0 turbo will get 3 gearbox options – 6-speed manual, 6-speed iMT and 7-speed DCT auto – while the diesel will get a 6-speed manual and a rumoured 6-speed auto.
- Expected to launch in September, the Kia Sonet will compete in India with the Hyundai Venue, Maruti Brezza, Ford EcoSport, Tata Nexon, Mahindra XUV300, as well as the upcoming Nissan Magnite, Renault Kiger and Toyota Urban Cruiser.