MWC 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus outbreak
- Mobile World Congress (MWC), which is the world’s biggest phone show, has been cancelled this year due to coronavirus epidemic.
- MWC is organised by GSM Association (GSMA) which represents over 1,200 companies across the mobile ecosystem. It is usually held in Barcelona, and this year was no different. The cancelled show was scheduled between February 24-27.
- The primary reason for this development regarding MWC 2020 is a significant Chinese phone maker presence at the show.
- Even before the official cancellation announcement, major companies like LG, Sony, ZTE, Nvidia, Vivo, Amazon, Nokia, Cisco, etc. had already pulled out of the show due to coronavirus fear.
- In an official statement, GSMA CEO John Hoffman said, “With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has cancelled MWC Barcelona 2020 because the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event. The Host City Parties respect and understand this decision. The GSMA and the Host City Parties will continue to be working in unison and supporting each other for MWC Barcelona 2021 and future editions. Our sympathies at this time are with those affected in China, and all around the world.”