Realme to bring UI ads to ColorOS
- After ridiculing Xiaomi for its user interface (UI) ads, Realme will now follow its arch rival’s footsteps and introduce ads to its phones running ColorOS 6 and up.
- The UI ads are being introduced so that Realme can maintain “a healthy and sustainable business model”. Obviously, selling high-end hardware at rock bottom prices isn’t the most profitable business model and the company needs to find alternative revenue sources (again, just like Xioami).
- The Chinese company, which is an Oppo spinoff, ensures that UI ads can be completely switched off in the settings menu. However, it will be enabled by default.
- Realme phones with ColorOS 6 and up will soon receive an OTA software update which will enable system ads.
- Realme earned the title of the world’s fastest-growing smartphone brand in 2019 thanks to its aggressive marketing, rapid smartphone launches and Xiaomi-chasing strategy.