Volkswagen Taigun concept previews midsize SUV for India
- Volkswagen’s first vehicle based on the India-specific MQB A0 IN platform has been revealed as the Taigun concept. It will morph into a production vehicle by late 2021.
- Designed to be a mid-size SUV, the VW Taigun concept resembles the Euro-spec VW T-Cross quite a bit, but its wheelbase is 100 mm longer than the latter. At 205 mm, the former’s ground clearance is also quite suited for India roads.
- The concept gets the characteristic Volkswagen family look, however, it has been more suited to India tastes with generous use of chrome, and distinctive LED lights, especially at the rear.
- The interior, like most modern cars, comes with a heavy emphasis on infotainment. There are two big displays, a dedicated driver’s display and an infotainment display. Otherwise, the dashboard design pretty neat and symmetrical.
- Powering the production-spec Taigun will be a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbo petrol engine making 128 bhp. This engine will also get a segment-first cylinder deactivation tech for superior fuel economy. However, there will be no diesel option here.